Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Beauty

So often I get caught up in what beauty is. The world portrays a message to us, all of us young and old, that beauty is perfection. I believe beauty is the perfection of the imperfection (if that makes sense). To simplify: beauty is the signs of life being lived:

Florence Photo Credit: Sarah Huizenga
Sun-kissed skin. Fresh freckles.
The painting of a young child.
The weathered hands of an elderly woman.

Beauty is the little things.

I did a tiny bit of research and looked up beauty in the dictionary. Here is what I found. Beauty is "the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind". And you know what, I fully agree with that definition. Beauty is what pleases you. The qualities present, whether big or little, that bring joy. 

Tea, tea has a quality to it that brings me joy; therefore, I find a refreshing cup of tea beautiful. 

What got me thinking on all of this was a piece I read this morning. It is from a recent purchase of mine, a book of inspiration. Here is a part of what I read: 
"The beauty of life is everywhere around you. Open your eyes and see it, absorb it, appreciate it, reflect it and become a part of it. When you expect to see beauty, you will see it; whereas when you expect to see ugliness, you will do so. The choice is always yours". 
Soak in the beauty of life; for life is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment