Monday, April 9, 2012

"You jump, I jump": a story without a perfect ending

The other night I filled the pages of my journal with quotes from the Titanic. As many of you know the Titanic recently hit theaters in 3D.

This past weekend, while many went home for Easter weekend, a friend and I hit the theaters. I haven't seen the Titanic that many times, mainly because it is a three hour plus long movie. But each time it gets me. Now don't roll your eyes. I admit, I am in love with Leonardo DiCaprio, well not really him, but I have a love for his voice (don't roll your eyes again). But that is besides the point.

The Titanic is a classic. It is one of those movies on everyone's must see list. Why, because it is a story of life. It doesn't end in happy ever after.

The reason as to why I am writing a post on the Titanic is because it is a story of life. A real story; there are not fireworks of happiness at the end. Jack and Rose don't get married; they don't go off into the sunset; they don't both live to tell the tale of how they survived the sinking. No. Jack dies. Rose lives. Yet for Rose, her life will never be the same. If Jack hadn't come into her life she would have jumped.
"Winning that ticket, Rose was the best things that ever happened to me... it brought me to you. And I'm thankful for that, Rose. I'm thankful. You must do this honor. Promise me you'll survive. That you won't give up, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise".
"I'll never let go, Jack. I'll never let go". 
I don't know how to perfectly sum up the movie; I don't know how to plainly put the meaning into words. You can call me a hopeless romance if you want, but this isn't just a movie about love. It is a movie of "learn[ing] to take life as it comes at you, to make each day count".
"I know. It doesn't make any sense that's why I trust it". -Rose
 "You jump, I jump. Remember? I can't turn away without knowing you'll be all right". -Jack
"I figure life is a gift, and I don't intend on wasting it. You never know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you, to make each day count". -Jack
Picture Credit: http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/ap_titanic_movie_leo_kate_winslet_thg_120403_wg.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment